One Alabama man nearly lost his life after he left his phone charging throughout the night by his bedside. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The Washington Post reports that Wiley Day went to bed with his phone charging through an extension cord. When he awoke, his metal dog tag chain somehow managed to catch on to the loose prongs of the charger leading to him being electrocuted. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
The chain conducted electricity, shocking Day through the chain onto his neck. He jolted out of bed, going completely numb, an experience he recalls as “the eeriest, darkest, most demonic thing you could ever experience.” ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
“Your body is numb at that point,” he told the The Washington Post. “I guess people would think it would be burning, but in my case I felt a whole lot of pressure around my neck.” Day also mentions that it became difficult to see and he could hear his heart beating through his ears. His niece told him that the extension cord was smoking. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
“When I came to and figured out what happened, I literally stood straight up, and I said, ‘Oh my God, I think I just got electrocuted.,’” he continued. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Day was taken to a hospital where he was treated for second and third-degree burns to his hands and neck. He stayed in the hospital for three days. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
According to The Post, Benjamin Fail, a Huntsville physician, told WAAY News that 100 volts of electricity can kill a person. Fail estimated that Day had been hit with about 110 volts. “He is lucky to be alive…Electrocution kills.” Fail said. ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
“From my experience to others, it is not worth your life charging your electronics in bed,” said Day, who now only charges his phone in the kitchen. “I mean, it’s not worth it. I wouldn’t wish what happened to me on my worst enemy.”